Retrofit Installer Technician: Mechanical Systems
This course covers residential weatherization practices for installers, with emphasis on assessment, troubleshooting, and improvement of mechanical systems such as furnaces, boilers, domestic hot water systems, and ventilation systems. Skills taught include combustion analysis, assessment of ventilation systems, and pressure diagnostics at the shell and ductwork. The companion course (RIT Building Shell 101) covers insulation, air-sealing, and exterior repairs. Both courses are aligned with the NREL Job Task Analysis for Retrofit Installer Technician.
This course immerses students in practice scenarios. Upon completion of the class, students will have hands-on experience performing the most common tasks needed to assess and improve common mechanical systems.
The in-person version of this course includes 32 contact hours.
- Select appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for assessment and remediation tasks
- Evaluate and improve the performance of heating and domestic hot water systems
- Troubleshoot and repair simple HVAC issues
- Perform advanced pressure diagnostics of building shells and duct systems, and use findings to specify typical air-sealing tasks
- Evaluate and improve the performance of mechanical ventilation systems
- Demonstrate basic equipment and tool maintenance
Organization of Course
This is a lecture-lab course. Lecture topics are presented in the classroom setting followed by hands-on practice in the lab. The class is appropriate for students who have had a basic introduction to weatherization training and are ready for advanced “hands-on” training. Student participation in discussions in the classroom and in the lab exercises is very important. This course has a written final exam and student participation is graded as pass/fail.
Grading Criteria and Passing Score
The final exam is a written test and each student must pass with an 70% score or higher. Students that do not pass will be allowed to retake the exam in accordance with the Montana Weatherization Training Center retesting policy.
- Private Contractors
- Program Managers
- Weatherization Professionals
- Building Managers
- $650 for the public
- Free for associates of the Montana Weatherization Workforce
For additional information contact the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call (406) 586-0070.