What is the Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule?
EPA's Lead; Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program Rule (RRP) affects paid renovators who work in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities, including: renovation contractors, maintenance workers in multi-family housing, painters, and other specialty trades. Under the rule, child-occupied facilities are defined as residential, public or commercial buildings where children under age six are present on a regular basis. Contractors are required to have a Certified Renovator on board for each job taking place in a home or facility defined by the rule. Responsibilities of theCertified Renovator include:
- Perform and direct lead-safe work practices
- Provide hands-on training to non-certified workers
- Maintain copies of training certificates onsite
- Use EPA-recognized test kits to identify lead-based paint
- Be present during posting of signs, containment setup, and cleaning
- Be available by telephone when off-site
- Maintain containment areas to minimize the spread of dust
- Implement the cleaning verification procedure
- Prepare and maintain required records
Here at the Weatherization Training Center we train the professionals who are on the ground weatherizing homes every day. However the EPA rule affects more than weatherization professionals. We are committed to serving our region by offering this training to everyone who works in situations where they may encounter lead in buildings. Click on our Training Calendar to view all course schedules. Or read through our RRP Course Registration Page for complete details.
Download Your RRP Resources Here
Need some Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule resources before you attend a class? Do you need to print out Renovate Right pamphlets to hand out to customers? Check out these FREE resources. You'll receive a bound copy of the RRP Student Manual when you attend class, but it might be a good idea to brush up prior to taking the exam.
- RRP Student Manual
- Renovate Right
- Pre-renovation Disclosure Form
- Certified Firm Registration Form
- Small Entity Compliance Guide to Renovate Right
- Steps for Lead-Safe Renovation, Repair, & Painting
- Sample Record Keeping Checklist
- Additional Requirements for Working on HUD Homes
- Lead Based Paint Waste Disposal