Weatherization 102 provides a brief review of weatherization measures, standards and residential building performance practices. The remainder of the course focuses on immersing students into practice scenarios. Tools and techniques of weatherization, including blower door use, air sealing options, insulation alternatives, proper ventilation, and mechanical issues and CAZ testing are all covered. The course follows the Department for Energy’s standardized curriculum for Weatherization Installer/Technician Intermediate and has been modified to align with the NREL Job Task Analysis for Retrofit Installer Technician. Upon completion of the class, students will have hands-on experience performing the most common weatherization applications. The structure of the course is mini-lecture followed by hands-on skill sets with instructor critique.
This course has 32 contact hours
- Select appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for a weatherization job
- Apply basic building performance principles
- Apply building science lecture topics to hands-on practice in the lab
- Use common weatherization safety protocols
- Select appropriate tools and materials for a weatherization job
- Apply basic air sealing measures
- Apply a whole-house methodology to a weatherization job
- Demonstrate proper dense-pack insulation techniques
- Demonstrate basic machine and tool maintenance
Organization of Course
This is a lecture-lab course. Lecture topics are presented in the classroom setting followed by hands-on practice in the lab. The class is appropriate for students who have had a basic introduction to weatherization training and are ready for advanced “hands-on” training. Student participation in discussions in the classroom and in the lab exercises is very important. This course has a written final exam and student participation is graded as pass/fail.
Grading Criteria and Passing Score
The final exam is a written test and each student must pass with an 70% score or higher. Students that do not pass will be allowed to retake the exam in accordance with the Montana Weatherization Training Center retesting policy.
- Private Contractors
- Program Managers
- Weatherization Professionals
- Building Managers
- $650 for the public
- Free for associates of the Montana Weatherization Workforce
For additional information, please email Mike Roberty at: email@example.com